Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Introducing: Get Lean With Me


Being healthy is something I pride myself in. Knowing the amount of commitment and discipline I put into it is a big deal. It’s almost natural though, especially since I take most of it after my mom. A great peace of mind, body, and soul are essential towards living a long and healthy life she says. And if she wants to see her own kids grow old then, why not? With a full-time job and three grown children she’s already got plenty on her mind, and yet she still finds time (albeit scarce) to take long walks in the park, a light jog, and squeeze in a nap. I’m not sure how she does it, but she does! And I’m incredibly grateful to have her lead by example.

I started taking fitness seriously when I graduated high school, so around the ages of 17-18? Getting started didn’t take much given that I was already healthy to begin with. Having a head-start really helped! At that time, I was already out of high school, working part-time, and beginning college in the fall. If I was going to enter a new chapter, I wanted to do it feeling and looking swell. Strategically I thought, a flexible workout & diet plan is a must (especially with upcoming fulltime classes and all). Randomly, yoga caved in.

I did my research: talked to people, read a tonne of articles on the internet, and read a bunch of books about simple yet effective yoga techniques for beginners. All that being gathered I went in and dived head first! *Ahem. Successfully. Thank God.
Up to this moment.... I love it!

I started doing it every other day to get my body inclined, then once I knew what I was doing I shortened my yoga schedule to 3 days a week for 45mins-hour. Each time I allowed myself a bit of time just to stretch out and practice my breathing. Within a few short weeks I felt, well, different. For starters I was more focused, and energized. My appetite finally got under control, and my body felt so much more lean and limber. Part of the nature of yoga is to help one improve their “balance” and “centre of gravity”, and what that does is improve your posture and grace, and your core. I slouched less, stood straight, and walking almost felt like breathing. Weird, huh?

I want to help others feel as great as I do if not better by letter everyone into my own personal routine. This obviously won’t work for everyone, but if it changes people’s perspectives on healthier lifestyle, or gives people a much needed kick in the behind to get fit... Than I’ve done what I can. I’ll be happy nonetheless. These next few posts will be a series called “Get Lean With Me”, and I’ll take you into a play-by-play of simple (I hope) tips on how to get healthy and slim.